In case you’re new to the surveillance world, let me briefly explain what Wi-Fi cameras are and how they differ from other type of cameras.
Wi-Fi hidden cameras are type of cameras that can connect to a network (usually using Wi-Fi) enabling users to remotely view live footage and video recordings.
They are primarily used for home security, surveillance and monitoring purposes. You’ve probably seen those old school CCTV security spy cameras since the 80’s. Well, these modern Wi-Fi cams are smaller, more robust and compact, allowing you to carry them to different places. Many of them are wireless, so you can mount them almost anywhere as they work on batteries.
Examples of Wi-Fi Spy Cameras:
Wi-Fi hidden spy cameras come in many shapes and sizes making them easily concealable, in any setting. Some popular types of Wi-Fi cameras include;
- Mini spy cameras: These compact cameras are small enough to be hidden in objects like alarm clocks smoke detectors or stuffed animals.
- Clock spy cameras: These cameras resemble clocks. Have a concealed camera lens for video recording.
- USB charger spy cameras: These devices masquerade as USB chargers. Have an integrated camera for video recording while charging.
- Pet feeder spy cameras: Disguised as feeders these devices feature a concealed camera that lets users monitor surroundings while in disguise.
Wi-fi hidden cameras typically offer features that make them ideal, for surveillance and monitoring purposes including:
- Motion detection: These cameras have a feature that starts recording when it detects movement, which helps save battery and storage space.
- Night vision: Additionally, they have night vision capability allowing them to record videos in low-light or no light conditions.
- Wide viewing angle: With their viewing angle these cameras can capture an area without the need for multiple devices to monitor the same space.
- Remote viewing: The main feature that we mentioned is viewing remotely, which enables users to watch videos and recordings from anywhere using their smartphones, tablets or computers.
Using Wi-Fi hidden spy cameras can be great for home security and surveillance purposes as long as they are used responsibly and ethically.
It’s crucial to understand and abide by the laws regarding spy camera usage in your jurisdiction to avoid legal issues in the future.
Main Differences Between Wi-Fi Spy Cameras and Non-Wi-Fi Cameras
Now that you know what wifi cameras are, let’s take a closer look at the differences between these wifi connection cameras and regular ones that don’t feature these wifi options.
- As mentioned earlier, Wi-Fi cameras connect wirelessly to networks enabling access to live video feeds and recordings.
- Non Wi-Fi cameras do not have this connectivity; instead they only store footage locally on devices like microSD cards or hard drives.
- For Wi-Fi cameras, users can conveniently view video footage and recordings from their smartphones, tablets or PC’s.
- On the hand non Wi-Fi cameras lack the ability to provide remote access. Users need to access the camera’s storage device to view pre-recorded footage.
- Wi-Fi cameras have a risk of being hacked compared to non-Wi-Fi cameras since they are connected to wireless network. However, many Wi-Fi cameras come with security features, like encryption and user authentication that help safeguard against unauthorizes access.
- Non Wi-Fi cameras are less susceptible to hacking as they are not connected wirelessly. Nonetheless if physically accessed by a random individual, non Wi-Fi cameras can also be compromised.
- To power Wi-Fi cameras users have the option of using batteries or a power adapter or both.
- Non Wi-Fi cameras typically rely on batteries or electric wiring for their power source.
Wi-Fi cameras often come with features such as motion detection night vision capabilities and two-way audio functionality. While non Wi-Fi cameras may offer some features of Wi-Fi models, however they are generally less advanced.
Wi-Fi cameras tend to be pricier compared to regular cameras.
In general Wi-Fi cameras provide more features and flexibility. Naturally, they come with a higher price tag. If you’re looking for an option or have security concerns, non Wi-Fi cameras can be just as good of a choice.
3 Popular Wifi Spy Cameras on the Market
1. Blink Mini Review:
The Blink Mini is quite popular wifi rich spy camera known for its affordability and ease of use. It boasts a compact design that makes it easy to conceal, and it offers 1080p high resolution video. On top of that, night vision and motion detection are available also. The Blink Mini also comes with a two-year battery life, so you don’t have to worry about constantly recharging it.
Easy to use
1080p resolution video
2 year battery life
No two-way audio
No cloud storage subscription
2. Reolink Argus 3 Pro
The Reolink Argus 3 Pro is a versatile WiFi spy camera that offers a wide range of features, including a whopping 2K resolution video, night vision, motion detection, two-way audio, and even solar power compatibility.
It also comes with a variety of mounting options, making it very easy to install in any location even if you’re not experienced.
2K resolution video
Solar power compatibility
Variety of mounting options
No cloud storage subscription included
3. Arlo Pro 4
The Arlo Pro 4 is a high-end WiFi spy camera that offers excellent video quality, a wide range of features, and a user-friendly app.
It comes with 2K resolution, night vision, motion detection, two-way audio, and a built-in spotlight. The Arlo Pro 4 also comes with a variety of mounting options, making it easy to install for new users.
Excellent video quality
Wide range of features
Variety of mounting options
Cloud storage subscription required
Why Choose Wi-Fi Hidden Spy Cameras?
So, to answer why should you choose the wifi cameras compared to regular ones, I think it’s quite clear. If you really need the main feature of these cams, which is remote surveillance, then go for it. It’s great to be able to login online, at any point in time, and watch what’s happening in your house or around it.
On the other hand, if you feel like shedding extra dollars for remote surveillance feature isn’t worth it, then regular non-wifi spy cameras are a perfect choice for you. They still record video, still offer many of the same features like night vision, motion detection, can be wired or wireless, etc.
But if you’d like a more robust and easy to use wifi hidden spy camera, then ho ahead and browse around, there are plenty of options available.