What is a Hidden Outdoor Camera?
A hidden CCTV camera or wireless security camera, as the name suggests, is a surveillance device designed to blend in with the environment when used outside.
Unlike regular security cameras, these discreet gadgets can be camouflaged or may come in pre-build units to resemble ordinary objects. It decreases the chances of detection, thus letting your record surveillance footage without raising eyebrows.
How Does Hidden Security Camera Work?
Hidden security cameras are made so that they are not conspicuous and they are best suited for surveillance. These usually operate through a process of absorbing light then turning it into an electronic signal that can either be transmitted or stored. The basic components of a hidden security camera include:
- Lens: The lens refocuses light onto the image sensor.
- Image sensor: An electronic signal is generated from the light by the image sensor.
- Processor: The processor is responsible for controlling the camera’s operations and processes images.
- Storage: The stored recorded video footage is kept in the storage unit.
- Transmitter: The monitor receives the video footage from a transmitter.
Such hidden security cameras may be hard wired or wireless. Wires connect wired cameras to a power outlet and a recording device. Wireless cameras send the images through a wireless network for example using Wifi.
Some hidden security cameras have additional features, such as:
- Night vision: The night vision cameras rely on IR LED’s that light up the scene under poor lighting conditions.
- Motion detection: Motion-sensor cameras capture video only when there is a motion within the scope of the camera’s vision.
- Audio recording: These are audio recording cameras that capture both video and audio.
Hidden security cameras can be used for a variety of purposes, including:
- Home security: Burglars and other offenders may be discouraged by use of hidden security cameras (if you place them in a visible manner).
- Monitoring children or pets: You can also install hidden security cameras to monitor their children or pets while away.
- Workplace security: Security cameras can also be well-hidden such that they can monitor employee activities and help curb theft.
The installation of hidden security cameras is one of the most effective ways through which a person can increase his or her security and peace of mind.
Reasons to Hide Spy Cameras
A discretion to hide a security camera usually comes from a desire of unobtrusive monitoring. Homeowners and businesses alike, choose hidden outdoor cameras for various reasons, including:
- Privacy Preservation: Surveillance is possible with hidden cameras in such a way that the privacy of people within that area is not intruded upon.
- Enhanced Security: Surprise is an effective antidote to would-be trespassers.
- Nondescript Monitoring: Hidden cameras are a more discreet option in locations where visible cams may be prone to interference or tampering.
5 Tips on Hiding Your Security Camera
Strategic placements are critical in achieving competency in the art of hiding the surveillance cameras. Here are five creative tips to effectively hide your outdoor security camera:
- Under Eaves/Ceiling/Soffits: Hide your camera beneath the eves or ceiling using the structural design of your home or building to your advantage.
- Disguise as Birdhouse: A birdhouse that hides the security camera to blend seamlessly in the outdoor environment but is still inconspicuous.
- In the Trees and Bushes: Use trees or bushes to conceal your camera so that it can keep performing the surveillance, but without being noticed.
- Rain Gutters: Use the functional aspects of your house’ exterior for housing your camera into rain gutters.
- Fence Posts: Mount your camera on fence posts ensuring the best vantage point preserving your property’s aesthetics.
Top 3 Hidden Outdoor Security Cameras
- Reolink Argus 2E
It’s a great all-around hidden outdoor security camera. It has a 1080p resolution, night vision, motion detection, and two-way audio. Made for outdoors specifically, it features weatherproof casing design to protect from bad weather and withstand harsh temperatures. The Argus 2E is powered by a rechargeable battery, so you don’t have to worry about running wires. What’s great about it, it can be connected to a solar powered battery, so you’ll save time and effort replacing batteries.
- Wyze Cam Outdoor v2
The Wyze Cam Outdoor v2 is a budget-friendly hidden outdoor camera that offers good value for money. Wyze features standard 1080p resolution, night vision, and motion detection. It is also weatherproof and can be used indoors or outdoors. The Wyze Cam Outdoor v2 acts as an IP cameras in a sense that it is powered by a USB cable, so you will need to have an outlet nearby. It can also be connected to a power bank for portable use. It’s a good option for those who are looking for an affordable hidden security camera.
- Blink Outdoor
The Blink Outdoor is a wireless hidden security camera for outdoors that is easy to install. 1080p resolution, night vision, and motion detection can also be found in this unit. It is also weatherproof and can be conveniently used outdoors. The Blink Outdoor is powered by two AA batteries, so you won’t have to worry about running wires.
These are just a few of the many hidden outdoor security camera types on the market. When you pick a camera, it is important to consider what you need, want and what your budget allows.
Some homeowners aren’t aware of different types of security cameras, and quite often they choose the wrong ones. They’ll get cameras that are meant for indoor use and place them outside. When rain hits them, they go bust.
That’s the reason to choose proper device for appropriate situation. These outdoors hidden security cameras are good options for average homeowners looking for protection at home.
Think before purchasing where you’ll be placing them. If you’ll be mounting them to the walls or go for more discreet, hidden camera placement. If so, brainstorm new ideas based on few tips provided above. That will help you to hide them conveniently and monitor activity without anyone noticing or tampering with your cameras.