Private investigators use various means of discreetly collecting evidence for different cases – from infidelity to corporate fraud.
To be on top of their game, they need to use the best gadgets available. Some of these essential devices include spy cameras that come in different types to nicely blend in different settings and capture the necessary footage.
This article will look at the five best types of spy cameras designed for private investigators with different investigative purposes in mind.
Hidden Camera Pens
A typical example of a spy camera is pen for private investigators. It has a hidden camera inside allowing an investigator to be able to record images and audio while pretending to be in casual conversation or taking notes using these apparently ordinary writing devices.
These pen cameras come in various designs with some also having high-definition video recording capability and long battery life. Such devices are designed for cases when an interviewer has to secretly take notes on a meeting, interviewing, or conversations that shouldn’t raise suspicion.
Private investigators also favor button cameras, which are mostly used during private surveillance of people. These small cameras are usually affixed on clothing, often tucked away in a buttonhole or an embellished fastener.
Button camera is a more convenient option because investigator does not need to hold the device, the compact design allows placing it on the investigator’s attire that provides a clear view of the subject. Therefore, these cameras are effective in places where open recording may be dangerous or suspicious.
Private investigators are known to use clock cameras as they are flexible surveillance tools for indoors recording. They have built-in cameras hidden in clocks and the images captured are of high-definition. A hidden clock camera in a target area can be a very useful tool during extended surveillance activities.
Clock cameras have been employed in corporate investigations, used as home security cameras, and to observe the movements of some people in the restricted areas.
Smoke Detector Cameras
Smoke detector cameras are among the best choices when investigators need to spy on private houses, offices, and certain rooms providing footage from above.
They are similar in design to ordinary smoke detectors but have a hidden camera. The smoke detectors are not noticeable as they mix with the scenery and offer good viewing angle for capturing evidence.
Yet another interesting spy device that PI’s love is spy glasses with cameras inside. These glasses have the tiny video camera, sometimes audio microphone built-in, hidden in the frame so that investigators could see and hear directly from their field of view.
The first-person perspective is necessary when the investigators need to record suspects face for clear evidence. They are often utilized during fieldwork in operations like undercover activity, drug trafficking, etc.
Choosing the Right Spy Camera
Some important considerations while choosing the best spy camera for private investigation include; the nature of the case, the environment and the degree of discretion desired.
Here are some key considerations when choosing the right spy camera:
- Environment: Where will the surveillance be conducted? Where will it take place, indoors or outdoors? It is a private or public surrounding? What’s more suitable, a hidden camera pen, a clock camera, or a smoke detector camera would depend on the environment.
- Discretion: Discretion may vary in different situations. Button cameras and eyeglasses cams have good stealth, but may not match the quality of bigger devices like clock cameras.
- Battery Life: Investigative operations can be lengthy. Battery life matters because you wouldn’t want your camera to die on you when it is very critical. Go for a spy camera with enough power to meet your particular requirements.
- Quality: It means that the video and audio quality is crucial. High quality video and crisp audio are what makes the difference in providing compelling evidence.
- Storage: This includes looking at the way the camera stores data for retrieval during analysis. Some cameras utilize SD cards, whereas others can transmit information wirelessly.
- Legal: Make sure that using the spy camera adheres to local laws and regulations. Depending on the country, privacy laws and consent requirements may be different.
An array of spy cameras can private investigators gather evidence that can make or break their case. Such versatile instruments are very important for collecting evidence secretly, revealing infidelity or work place wrongdoings as well as to track child custody arrangements.
Every spy camera comes with its own benefits, which means that an investigator should select the most proper tool to be used during a particular investigative scenario.
As a private investigator you should bear in mind the environment, the level of discretion, battery life, video quality, the available storage options, and legal issues when selecting the best spy camera for each case.